After another wild ride the Dow capitulated in the final minutes before the bell Friday, closing down over 2%. Final hour fireworks have become quite a feature of the markets this week, with frantic activity seen on four of the five trading days. In fact the trend is so pronounced that a financial aphorism might be in order, such as "Best buy or sell an hour pre-bell". Or how about "In that hour before close anything goes".
Sneaky Business believes that such rules of thumb should have a hand in helping investors to get their arms around the timing of transactions. To further aid our readers we present some of our other favorites in the following list:
- Sell in May then walk away
- Sell in June then pimp your Zune
- Sell in The Fall, get rid of it all
- Buy in July and crank your stress high
- Shorts in the summer can be quite the bummer
- Hold in the spring while Russell has his fling
- Sell short every REIT and you'll sleep well at night
Perhaps we will be adding more by the end of next week.